Tuesday 16 October 2007

My own interpretation - Ross


My walk around the city of Portsmouth began at the Portland building which I felt was a point of interest on the journey that I took. What I really noticed was that the use of glass throughout the building gave a real sense of space and light. On from the Portland building I walked down a fairly main road toward the historic dockyard. There wasn’t much of interest in my opinion as all the buildings were residential housing etc. The only exception to this was the Cathedral which was a beautifully designed building with what I felt was typically church like features. Once at the dockyard the view over to the Spinnaker tower and Gunwharf quays was what I felt grabbed my attention the most. On my journey around the city of Portsmouth, I was following the millennium chain which is on the concrete and one may not notice it unless they knew it was there or were following it like I was. Obviously as Portsmouth is a coastal city, this is one of the biggest attractions and with the weather being so clear the view out to the horizon was amazing. Approximately half way through the journey I came across an interesting old-looking building which looked like a pub initially but on closer inspection it turned out that it was in fact a hairdressers'. This was an interesting building as it showed how and old building had been renovated into something quite modern in its own right. My journey around Portsmouth ended at the Eldon building which is again, like the Portland building, very visually interesting. I particularly liked the slanted glass window in the courtyard. All in all I did enjoy my journey around the city and actually taking the time to look at your surroundings does make you realise how much you miss when you don’t take the time to look.

No comments: