Thursday 11 October 2007

Opinion about the town of an eighty year old woman




From my point of view the town has a very good location near the sea, it is very important for me because it is very difficult to walk a long way. In the town there are many historic places which I am proud of and I can show them to my grandchildren. Also it is very important for me
that there are many places where I can sit when I am tired for example cafe, benches. I like being in the fresh air and living in this town I can go to the sea every day. Town has very pleasant atmosphere, it is not overcrowded and is rather quiet and peaceful. There are a lot of houses built of bricks and each house has its own small garden. So town streets are very lovely. I would usually travel around the town on my buggy. There are quite a lot of them in the Old Portsmouth area where I live. I find this area to be most relaxing part of Portsmouth. It is nice to be near the sea and the area is not burdened by traffic in comparison to the other parts of the town.

As I would normally travel around on my buggy as I have done for the last ten years I found this to be a very tiring experience. Luckily for me in the area of Old Portsmouth there are quite a lot of benches in very scenic and relaxing locations such as the Cathedral, the sea wall and outside the Spice Island Pub where you can look over to Gunwharf Quays.
I really did feel that I had to concentrate a lot harder due to the unevenness of the surfaces throughout the route especially in Old Portsmouth. High Street’s surface is very patchy and it would be ideal for people of my age if the footpaths were rectified. It is harder to truly value the views and scenery if one is constantly looking at the ground. Walking up the steps of the historic wall was also very tiring and I was glad to sit at one of the benches on its top and admire the beautiful views.
I did have to veer slightly off the route as I felt the route given was unsafe for an eighty year old person. I had to cross at Bellevue Terrace as there was a pelican crossing and not at Jubilee Terrace in accordance with the route. Walking through Southsea was very interesting as I hadn’t been through that part of Southsea in a long time. It was very interesting to see that much of it had changed.
The final district of the route was Somers Town which was slightly discomforting for me. This is a much more densely populated area than Old Portsmouth where I live and it is hard to imagine how one could live in such an area. The high rise apartment blocks look more like prisons. The playing areas are limited and it is hard to imagine how families can survive with such a lack of social amenities in the area. I had planned to walk the route again at night especially the Old Portsmouth section which is very relaxing but Somers Town at night would be very discomforting for me.

No comments: